Oh the holidays, admittedly one of my most favorite times of the year, but living with a chronic disease can make it a bit challenging. Through my six years of navigating the “chronic world”, I have found that often people have ZERO ideas what you want/need that would be helpful with your illness. So I put together a list of some of my favorite gifts and stocking stuffers for the chronic migraineur in your life! Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
- Pranamat ($$$)- I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pranamat. A pranamat is essentially an acupressure mat. It works best for those who have a positive response to acupuncture (which I do); to help control the pain. They are a little on the spendy side, but I LOVE mine for a few reasons: its eco conscious; they give you a 30 day money back guarantee, and its portable.
- Foam Roller ($$)- If you are like me and neck and back LOCK down during an attack a foam roller is a game changer! I LOVE the one that I have…I purchased off amazon a few years ago and its still in great condition. Overall, this is a great gift to roll out and hit the tight spots in your neck, back., side body and even front. It is a great and inexpensive tool to add to your toolbelt!
- THE STICK ($$)- This is yet, another great tool for your toolbelt. I fell in love with this while going through physical therapy for many years post cervical spine surgery. This is great because it can work on any area of your body that feels tight! Here is a link.
- Revlon One Step Hair Dryer ($$)- Washing and drying your hair for someone with chronic pain is like running a marathon. I happened upon this little jewel about a month ago and it has cut down on my drying time and saves me some spoons! A great gift for a Spoonie!
- Neck Pillow ($$) A good pillow for a migraineur is like GOLD. I suffer from a good bit of neck and back issues and found this pillow. I really like it and so far my neck seems less tense in the morning!
- Micrate ($$)-a subscription box of goodies for all your migraine needs! I purchased one of these for a friend and they make AMAZING gifts!
- Subscription to audio books ($$-$$$)- Audio books and Podcast have become my saving grace. I love to read, but often reading can really aggravate my pain levels. I found two subscriptions —Audible and Scribd . Scribed is unlimited books per month and is 9.99 a month. I have really enjoyed it thus far—they also have A LOT of new books—which is nice! An audio book subscription would be a great gift for a migraineur!
- Comfy clothes/jammies ($$-$$$)- I am a total sucker for cozy, soft jammies/clothes. TjMaxx, Marshalls and Nordstrom Rack always has a good selection of some cozy jammies.
- Cozy Slippers ($$-$$$)- I love me some slippers, and a few years ago fell in love with. I picked them up at TJMaxx, but Amazon has a GREAT selection of some cozy slippers–here is one of my favorites.
- High Thread Count Cozy Sheets ($$$)- This time of year Macy’s is always running deals on good sheets. My absolute favorite sheets come from Target. They are the Threshold brand- and they are the softest and most cozy sheets I own! Check them out:
- Good Quality Sunglasses ($$$-$$$$)– yes these will be expensive BUT so worth the money. I purchased a pair of Costa Del Mar sunnies 10 years ago and am still wearing them. Look for brands that have UVA and UVB protection as well as polarized—these help TREMENDOUSLY with high light sensitivity days. These are the ones I have on my christmas wish list.
Stocking Stuffers for the Migraineur:
- Diffuser with peppermint and spearmint oil ($-$$$)- My favorite diffuser I found on Amazon- link here. Peppermint oil and spearmint oil have been found to be wonderful for nausea. BUT this is totally a preference. Some migraineurs do not like the smell–so check and make sure they do not have a serious aversion to the smell. I LOVE buying my oils from Young Living, BUT they can be expensive. I have found some cheaper brands that work just as well and are put through the same quality control as Young Living. You can find the brands on Amazon they are NOW and aura cacia. I prefer the NOW oils—put use what you like, just make sure they are of the highest quality.
- epsom salt /baking soda for detox bath ($)- You can purchase both of these items at Walmart or Target–for me this is a game changer to help with muscle tightness.
- Journals– ($-$$) I love to journal, and it has actually helped me tremendously with pain management–a cute journal would be a wonderful stocking stuffer!
- Good earphones ($$-$$$$)- This will depend on the type of phone you have, but they make wireless ones that are WAY more affordable than the Apple Air Pods, and work just as well. Use your own judgement on what would work best for the individual you are shopping for!
- Pampering items ($-$$$)- new nail polish, a fun face mask, shower steamers, bath bombs, favorite teas, a new mug (check out this fun warrior mug) , snuggly socks, rose quartz face roller—anything to make the person feel special and loved—and some items they could use for those self care days!
- Wine Wand ($$)- This new product comes HIGHLY recommended from other migraineurs. In fact its on my wish list!
- Ice towel ($$)- This ice towel has been a serious GAME CHANGER for me. Its from a company called @koldtec and their towels are amazing. They are getting ready to launch a migraine “Headache Halo”—which is also going to be a total game changer for chronic migraine sufferers.
- Lord Jones CBD Products ($$$)- from lotions to tinctures- Lord Jones has you covered with quality hemp based CBD products. Their body lotion is my GO TO for severe neck pain. Would make an excellent stocking stuffer or gift!